Our History

JDA’s founder Julius Newman’s daughter became deaf as a teenager and had nowhere to go to meet other young Jewish deaf people like herself. During discussions with her and other deaf people, Julius learnt that what they really wanted was to have a centre of their own where they could get together in safety and comfort and share their issues and challenges – from their social lives to the difficulties of gaining employment. 

Julius gathered a team of supporters, and The Jewish Deaf Association was born. Established as a Registered Charity in 1948, JDA settled into a building in Cazenove Road, Stamford Hill, after acquiring the freehold at a peppercorn rent and working hard to make it habitable. Jewish deaf people now had their safe space to meet, socialise and build relationships.

The official launch took place on 27 May 1951 and Julius Newman’s family has carried the baton ever since. His daughter, the late Evelyn Gee, alongside her late husband George, was an inspirational President for many years. To this day, their children (Julius’s grandchildren) Trudy, Duncan and Caroline, are dedicated to JDA – actively involved on the Board of Trustees, in fundraising and in organising and helping out at activities.

In 1998 JDA moved into its present, purpose-built, deaf-friendly Community Centre in North Finchley and services were able to expand and develop in accordance with the growing need.

Since then, JDA has gone from strength to strength and now not only provides a home from home for everyone with a hearing loss – people at all stages of life and of all backgrounds, faiths or none – but also fights for their right to be treated with equality and respect and enables them to access the support, care and information they need.

More details about Deaf history can be found here.